Thursday, November 05, 2009

Do people REALLY believe this stuff?????

Had my MOPs meeting on Tues. I sat there in shock. I could not believe that one of the women was saying what she was saying. I couldn't believe that people still think this way!

We were talking about friendship, the importance of it, maintaining friendships, stuff like that. This woman was telling us about her "best friend"* who is a lesbian. Who she doesn't want her kids around because "I don't want them around things like that". WTF!?!?!? People still think this way? And VOCALIZE IT!? In a room full of people who they barely know? I was in shock! She also said that she wants her kids around people who think like they (I assume her & her husband) do so that the kids know that as normal. Again: WTF!?!?!?

I want my kid around people who DON'T think like I do! I want him to learn about different thoughts, religions, views. I want him to be educated enough to be able to make his own decisions as he grows. It doesn't mean that I don't teach him about what we believe or that he doesn't go to church with us. But I want him to learn, from a young age, that not everyone thinks like we do.

This woman acted like gay was contagious. I think most reasonable people don't believe that. But this was nuts. And the fact that she says this is her "best friend"? How weird to me! I can't imagine not wanting my child around my friends. The only time I wouldn't want my child around a friend is if they were a child molester or abuser. And I wouldn't be friends with someone like that! Makes no sense to me!

Am I off base here?

2 comments:

Sara said...

Oh noes! Teh gays are out to get us!

Good gracious. You know what this means, don't you? This means you have to come and move to the house for sale down the street so you don't have to be around people like that.

Sadly, people do still think like that. My FIL, for instance, would not be happy if one of our kids is gay. But, it's changing more and more each generation. So, keep on keeping on and Riley (and Rosemary and their kids) will pass on all the good stuff his wonderful parents taught him.

*~*Zann*~* said...

See, I can sort of understand with our parents & il's generation. They were raised different. It was a different mentality. But really, this woman is about my age! I couldn't believe it. The nice thing was that no one agreed with her. And a friend who goes with me & I talked yesterday & we both were shocked! So I have hope that it is rare!