Sunday, August 21, 2011

Toning it down

I hate that I have to do this. I love baking. So I bake. I've started to decorate cupcakes. Fun things. Loving it. But it isn't just baking. I love making things. I'm crafty, I guess. For Riley's birthday day I made pirate cupcakes. I put together goody bags. But instead of bags I used sandwich boxes. Each one had 2 ring pops (pirate treasure), gold coins, a pirate eraser, a pirate pencil sharpener, and then I tied them shut (because they wouldn't stay shut with the ring pops) with pirate bandana's that I made. A friend teased, and I know that it wasn't a mean comment, that no one can compete with what I do for a party. She is genuinely impressed, she doesn't like to do this stuff, so she is impressed that I do like to do it. (Never mind that she crochets, sews, quilts & scrap books!)

I am now faced with soccer. I am doing snack for next weeks game. I am going to do apple & orange slices and a water bottle. But after seeing what a pain it was for the mom Sat to get each of her three things out and handed to the kids I was thinking that I should have a container. I have these cute little cardboard popcorn boxes. I was going to punch holes in the sides and use pipe cleaners to make handles & put everything in them. And yet I am second guessing myself because it is the 2nd week & I don't want the other people to think they have to live up to what I do. That isn't what I want. I do it not to impress people but because it makes me happy.

Why do we do this? Why does everything become something that other people have to live up to? I don't expect other people to do what I do. I do it because I love to do it. Yet I feel that people will think I am doing it to be better than other people. *sigh* I hate this.





2 comments:

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

I understand how you feel. I often have people backhand compliment me on the baking I do for the kids but I get that most people aren't home all day and those that are aren't home ALONE (both my girls are in full time school now) so yeah I get it that they don't have that kind of time. But I do. So really, it's NOT that big of a deal when I do it. But they still give me the "trying to be better than you" vibe. Sigh.

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

and for what it's worth I say go for it. Do what makes you happy.